1. As my mother might say, I wasn’t born yesterday, nor did I come down the Swale in a tub, but this is the first I’ve heard of the terms em-dash and en-dash: https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/em-dash.html I rather like The Punctuation Guide!
2. So what did you think ‘kitchen’ meant? Nope! https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/21/books/african-american-dictionary.html Someone let me know if this is subscriber only, please.
3. One possibly unexpected consequence of the pandemic is that many young school pupils can’t really write any more https://www.theguardian.com/education/2022/jul/23/writing-has-dropped-off-a-cliff-englands-lockdown-hit-pupils-get-extra-pen-lessons My own writing dropped off a cliff many years ago!
4. A poignant piece of writing from Mieko Kawakami in a new magazine I’d not come across before, Astra https://astra-mag.com/articles/for-that-one-moment/
5. And, finally, another reason for not going back to university or work – too much CO² in the lecture theatres and meeting rooms! https://mastodon.social/@oliverquinlan/108673209250363105 The whole, rather technical Twitter thread on CO² meters is here https://twitter.com/realsexycyborg/status/1549318414489067520?s=21&t=mRucF9_CxNlg5Llxlb_usg