1. Is Big Brother watching you watching (or not)? The next UCL Centre for Applied Linguistics Research Seminar is at 14:00 UK time this Wednesday, 19th January: Understanding the role of attention in second language acquisition: Empirical contributions from eye-tracking with Aline Godfroid from Michigan State University. Abstract below; register here https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfoTH7NxDdv7Rnp5rBCXGv_xRpP3kkUAR-YsHgexY87zgxYkw/viewform
2. This coming Saturday, 22nd January, at 11:15 UK time, IH World are offering a Free Training Day for ELT Academic Managers and Trainers with:
George Pickering – ‘The principled manager: leading with the head and the heart’
Marie Willoughby – ‘Shifting sands: Causes, impacts and strategies to manage Trainer Trainer Imposter Phenomenon’ and
Lucie Cotterill – ‘Stepping into the Unknown – Future-proofing your Language Teaching Organisation’
More info and registration here https://ihworld.com/events/events/free-training-day-for-elt-academic-managers-and-trainers-2022/
PDF of programme and talk abstracts below – just in case, like me, it’s not immediately clear to you what Marie Willoughby is talking about. NB: you need to register by Thursday 20th January.
3. The second in the TESOL Master Class series from China is at 11:30 UK time this Wednesday, 19th January. Lixian Jin from the City University of Macau will be talking about Approaches for Teaching Intercultural Communication Skills in ELT. More info and registration here https://tesol.21elt.com/lecture – scroll down the page a little.
4. The UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) now has a Girls’ Education Department, and here’s a blog post by the head of that department, Emma Spicer, on Educating girls despite a global pandemic https://blogs.fcdo.gov.uk/fcoeditorial/2021/12/21/educating-girls-despite-a-global-pandemic/
Emma’s department leads on the implementation of the FCDO’s five year plan for girls’ education, ‘Every girl goes to school, stays safe, and learns: Five years of global action’ https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/986027/FCDO-Girls-Education-Action-Plan.pdf PDF below in case that’s easier to access.
5. And, finally, meet the Feelings Monster! https://youtu.be/3O7S_wUdI0w More info, ideas and materials here https://create.kahoot.it/profiles/cf9a98a0-0186-4a3f-b92f-2c54ee9df3d5