1. I hadn’t realised that registration for this series of three workshops curated by Swansea University closes next Monday, 22nd November – sorry! Our first years in academia: Managing applied linguistics research alongside teaching and other tasks.
Registration and more info (in quite small print) here https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfa4H9jBhlgLiG8HazG6XlVrp6rHVlQBlGZz5w9eXdSKabLCA/viewform
2. Do you tell your students not to use Wikipedia? Why? https://academicmatters.ca/students-are-told-not-to-use-wikipedia-for-research-but-its-a-trustworthy-source/
3. Do you understand what this paragraph is about? “Despite the multi-receiver sets, the spread option is a run-first scheme that requires a quarterback that is comfortable carrying the ball, a mobile offensive line that can effectively pull and trap, and receivers that can hold their blocks. Its essence is misdirection.” I wasn’t sure!
All will be explained here ‘Why background knowledge about the world can increase reading comprehension – even for facts you can just Google’ https://www.banterspeech.com.au/too-many-stories-not-enough-facts-free-tips-and-resources-to-boost-your-childs-knowledge-and-reading-comprehension-skills/
4. This was such a disappointment! This year’s European Poetry Festival in London is all face-to-face, with nothing at all online https://www.europeanpoetryfestival.com/ It’s all free, but I don’t think that’s quite right. I’ve been well and truly spoilt by my lockdown experience. And I realise that London is not where most of you are going to be next week, either: I’m just indulging myself by complaining!
5. And, finally, online poetry from both sides of The Atlantic:
three videos about Hannah Lowe’s poems about teaching and learning in London https://youtu.be/BPFW6ndCup8 https://youtu.be/djWKP6ad5Ew https://youtu.be/TDIvDtas_aI
and later today, at midnight UK time, readings by the members of the Board of Chancellors of the Academy of Poets in the USA – they look less grand than they sound! https://www.crowdcast.io/e/gather-in-poems/register?mc_cid=1214368b0f&mc_eid=9b48fa0432