1. Ample notice of this event at 14:00 UK time on Thursday 12th August as you may wish to do some prep for it with your students: the Global LEAD #WatchOurImpact Dialogue, a partnership between UNICEF’s Generation Unlimited and USAID’s Global Lead programme. More info and registration here https://www.eventbrite.com/e/watchourimpact-dialogue-registration-164041599841
More on Generation Unlimited here https://www.generationunlimited.org/
Might be hard to keep track of the abbreviations and acronyms!
2. The Coding Mindset is the most recent edition of the Pearson English Podcast. A new term to me, ‘coding mindset’. Podcast and explanation here https://www.english.com/blog/the-coding-mindset-podcast/
Direct link to podcast here https://soundcloud.com/pearson-english-podcast/the-coding-mindset (so you don’t keep clicking in vain on the forward arrow, as I did, but maybe that was a practical illustration of the coding mindset?).
3. I’d not come across this UNESCO list of the 1,154 World Heritage Sites before https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/ Lots of fun to be had exploring!
Used to be 1,155 until Liverpool lost its World Heritage status recently, alas. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/21/unesco-strips-liverpool-waterfront-world-heritage-status
4. Here’s a grim but well-written piece from Gerry Hassan for The Scottish Review on Scotland’s struggle with drugs-related deaths, which “has earned Scotland the unwanted moniker of ‘the drug death capital of Europe’”. https://www.scottishreview.net/GerryHassan579a.html
5. And, finally, this week’s phobia, suggested by my colleague Steve, is igniterroremophobia. Steve says, “It’s hard to tell if some of these are just made-up nonsense…”