1. The Wonder Foundation’s mission is to empower women and girls to get the education they need to exit poverty for good https://wonderfoundation.org.uk/
They’ve recently produced a report on women’s exclusion from online learning and the gender digital divide more generally https://wonderfoundation.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Women-Disconnected-Report.pdf PDF below and thanks to Ellen Darling for this tip!
We’ve all heard stories, I’m sure, of how school-age daughters are right at the end of the queue for use of the family mobile, behind father, mother and brother(s).
[file x 1]
2. With each year that passes, the ELTons Innovation Awards become more international, and nominations are now open until 17th March for the 2022 awards. More info here https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/article/eltons-innovation-awards-2022-applications
Excellence in Course Innovation, Innovation in Teacher Resources, Innovation in Learner Resources, Digital Innovation and Local Innovation are the five categories – the judges may not thank me, but the more applications they receive, the better!
Fair to say that most innovation nowadays is to some extent digital, which might render the digital innovation category ever-so-slightly problematic?
3. This Saturday, 19th February is the 2022 Qudwa-PISA Global Competence Forum, a partnership between the OECD and the Bussola Foundation. More info on speakers and programme here https://www.qudwa.com/ and registration here https://registration.qudwa.com/StandAloneRegistration/Registration
The Arabic word ‘qudwa’ means ‘example’ or ‘model’ in English (I think).
4. If, like me, you’re not quite 100% sure what is meant by ‘competence’, here’s a useful piece from Cambridge on the topic, What is Competence? https://www.cambridge.org/news-and-insights/insights/What-is-competence-A-shared-interpretation-of-competence-to-support-teaching-learning-and-assessment PDF of report below.
5. And, finally, how about some humility? Here’s a piece from Psychology Today, Are You Intellectually Humble? https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-questionologist/202103/are-you-intellectually-humble How does that reconcile with this week’s phobia, the barely pronounceable kakorrhaphiophobia, I wonder?