1. Nik Peachey is showing his age, I reckon – Mario Rinvolucri and Paul Davis’s ‘Dictation’ was one of my very favourite books too, back in the day. Good blog post from Nik on dictation here https://peacheypublications.com/3-dictation-activities-for-the-remote-and-physical-classroom
2. All the recordings from the English UK Teachers Day on 22nd April can now be found here https://www.englishuk.com/en/about-us/news-press/english-uk-news?newsId=3177 – well worth a rummage around!
The day included two very well received plenaries: the first, on The native factor and the last five years by Silvana Richardson with Chia Suan Chong, is here https://youtu.be/SuZ4mJhFYYo and the second, on Climate action in language education with Colm Downes, Christopher Graham and Dianna Torosyan, is here https://youtu.be/yGlRo8OxMlY
3. Pretty sure I’ve not included anything from Costa Rica before. Starting tomorrow at 17:00 UK time and more or less weekly thereafter is the University of Costa Rica’s seminar series on ‘Linguistic Policy, Linguistic Planning and Evaluation in Central America and the Caribbean: Realities and Needs’.
and registration link here https://udecr.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZErd-CppjwpG9EGfDRGh-SBbGdSS6ETGPgG?timezone_id=Europe%2FLondon
4. Here’s an interesting recent report on textbook use conducted for the UK Publishers Association by Public First http://www.publicfirst.co.uk/how-do-teachers-use-textbooks.html The report’s findings – possibly not very surprising, given who commissioned it, but nonetheless thought-provoking – include a) without textbooks, teachers would spend an additional 5.7 hours a week planning their lessons; b) without textbooks, the UK state education system would require an additional 52,250 teachers to function, which would cost nearly £3 billion a year. PDF below.
5. This week’s phobia is amychophobia, and here’s a wonderful short film that I’ve just discovered – but some of you may know already as it’s been around for a while – about a Belgian man who clearly does NOT suffer from it https://youtu.be/6F513pM5YdQ